The Advance_eLTER project comprises six Work Packages:
|2||Service design and planning||NERC-CEH|
|4||eLTER RI governance and organisation||UH|
|5||Consulting, communication and team-building||EAA|
The Work Packages in detail
WP1: Design study
WP1 will provide a detailed design study of the eLTER physical infrastructure (sites and platforms), clarifying site categories and site selection criteria.
- Analysing research questions of key scientific user groups as the conceptual basis for the eLTER RI design
- Providing the basis for and developing the technical design plan (construction, development, implementation) of eLTER RI physical site network and central facilities
WP2: Service design and planning
WP2 will establish eLTER RI service concepts and develop the design and plannig o f the eLTER service offerings, such as access to research sites, provision of data and tools, training and capacity buiding.
- Developing the concept for eLTER RI services for their multiple use and prioritisation
- Plan for development, testing and running of eLTER RI services in all concept areas and at service provider levels (i.e. site/platform, cross-site, central).
WP3: Financial sustainability
WP3 will develop a long-term sustainability plan for the the eLTER RI and ensure that shareholders (actual and potential funders of the eLTER RI) are informed and agree upon key features.
- Develop a Business plan to analyse the landscape, to focus on key points to develop, and to prepare for emerging problems and opportunities
- Estimate the past investments and operational costs in the existing eLTER RI components, and the planned costs of future eLTER RI central operations
WP4: eLTER RI governance and organisation
The focus of WP4 is to understand the challenges associated with managing a distributed research infrastructure and to progress towards establishing long-term governance of the RI, with strong involvement from funding agencies, operating institutes and user communities.
- Plan for an efficient and smooth transition from preparation and construction to operational governance
- Develop a robust governance scheme to respond to the challenges of a distributed RI and to enable shareholder negotiations for the implementation and operation of the eLTER RI
- Develop Human Resources strategy
WP5: Consulting, communication and team-building
WP5 groups various communication and consulting activities necessary to develop the eLTER RI design and organisational framework. This WP is the main interface between the Advance_eLTER project team and external stakeholders, including infrastructure providers, user groups and shareholders.
- Advancing the national eLTER ESFRI planning and decision making processes
- Further specifying the functional and strategic role of eLTER in the environmental RI landscape including division of tasks and handover points with related RIs
- Staff capacity development to the level required for the eLTER ESFRI process
WP6: Project Management
This WP will take care of essential project management, in accordance with tried and tested project management procedures. It will aim to ensure the project delivers on time and within budget.