'Targets for biodiversity beyond 2010 - research supporting policy'
26 Aug, 2009 09:00 AM
16 Sep, 2009 05:00 PM
|Contact Name||Fiona Grant|
|Add event to calendar||
The electronic conference 'Targets for biodiversity beyond 2010 - research supporting policy' will begin Wednesday 26 August 2009. The results of the e-conference will be presented and discussed at the EPBRS delegates meeting in Visby, Sweden, on the 29th September-1st October 2009.
The challenge for the e-conference is three-fold:
- To assess the appropriateness of a global target to halt or reduce biodiversity loss;
- To review the existing set of goals and sub-targets and to propose new targets;
- To comment on the natural and social science research needed to verify such targets and the indicators necessary for monitoring them.
The e-conference will address three questions, one per week of the conference:
- How can we use the experience of the existing 2010 biodiversity target and its goals, sub-targets and indicators to set updated (or new) rigorous, balanced and legitimate target(s) and indicator(s) post 2010?
- What research do we need to set and monitor biodiversity targets for the future, and the subsequent management of biodiversity?
- Are there specific conflicts between existing or potential goals, sub-targets and targets or their associated indicators for biodiversity change?
In addressing these three questions, a cross-cutting theme will be to identify communication needs to ensure messages get across to decision makers and the wider public.
You are kindly invited to subscribe to the electronic conference by filling in the subscription form available at: http://www.nbu.ac.uk/biota/e-conference.htm or directly on the WebBoard on: http://forums.ceh.ac.uk:8080/~BioStrat/login. In case of any difficulty subscribing, please e-mail Fiona Grant on firstname.lastname@example.org. Information on BioStrat e-conferences and how they function can be found by following the 'e-conference' link on the BioStrat website (http://www.biostrat.org/).
Note that there is no need to subscribe if you subscribed to previous BioStrat or BioPlatform e-conferences - you will automatically have access to this e-conference. If you not longer wish to be subscribed to this forum please email email@example.com as soon as possible.
Further information on the e-conference can be found on the following websites:
- BIOTA Cluster: http://www.nbu.ac.uk/biota/e-conference.htm
- EPBRS: http://www.epbrs.org/
- BioStrat: http://www.biostrat.org/
Please forward this announcement to anyone who might be interested.