The long-term mission of LTER-Europe is:
- to track and understand the effects of global, regional and local changes on socio-ecological systems and their feedbacks to environment and society.
- to provide recommendations and support for solving current and future environmental problems.
The main objectives are:
- to identify drivers of ecosystem change across European environmental and economic gradients
- to explore relations between these drivers, responses and developmental challenges under the framework of a common research agenda, and referring to harmonised parameters and methods
- to develop criteria for LTER Sites and LTSER Platforms to support cutting edge science with a unique in-situ infrastructure
- to improve co-operation and synergy between different actors, interest groups, networks, etc.
LTER-Europe works towards its objectives by providing a framework for project development, conceptual work, education, exchange of know how, communication and institutional integration.